Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mont Blanc Tunnel

When Jim and I went to Alba in October,  we drove and the quickest route was through the Mont Blanc Tunnel.  The tunnel runs through the Alps and connects France to Italy.  Somehow I ended up driving both directions so the pictures were limited.  

Tunnel construction started in 1946 on the Italian side and was opened to traffic in 1965.  It is 11,611 meters or 7.215 miles long.  The toll currently costs 35 Euros for a one way ticket or 45 Euros for round trip.  This is by far the most expensive tunnel I have driven through. 

view approaching the tunnel from the Italian side


signs on the Italian side

This sign perplexed me, it says "listen to the radio" but gave no station number.

Our car GPS.  I'm sure there was a reason I took this, but I can't remember it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, 2 of my fave things combined: mountains and tunnels. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete