Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Remember Thanksgiving?  Cold, breezy November where it mostly rains and you need the heat on in the car early in the morning.  

This past Thanksgiving started off little less "American" for me.  Jim was sent to Amsterdam for work so I spent the actual holiday with the people I work for.  Krista took off early from her job but since Anna still had school it seemed like every other day.  We made a few appetizers and desserts and watched the Thanksgiving parade at 3pm (horray for Slingbox).  The kids mostly played and I went home around 9 and that was that.

The next day I was off and was greatly surprised when the postman ran my bell around 11am.  I had a package! 




Fayelle had sent me a giant box of Thanksgiving-ness (and a few Christmas things).  I was so ecstatic.  I now had a few essentials for having Thanksgiving in Geneva, plus some other great things, like Terra chips which I ate in less than a day.  Horray for cousins!

Jim returned home Friday night and on Saturday we were invited to a real American Thanksgiving with some other Expats.  We headed to Lausanne to join Dorothy and Bob at Lindsey and Jeff's apartment for dinner.  Jeff also works with Jim and he and Lindsey have an adorable baby named Oliver.  

It was a pot luck dinner except for the turkey which we bought cooked from a butcher in Lausanne.  It turned out amazing, and for the money and time saving factor (not to mention most ovens can't fit a turkey in Europe) it was well worth it.  I made mashed potatoes, stuffing and the best dang pecan pie I've ever had.  Dorothy brought corn bread, pumpkin pie and salad.  And in addition to hosting Lindsey made corn and sweet potato casserole.  Mmmmm.

Pecan crack pie


The turkey box

blurry turkey, but very tasty

our feast

Americans unite

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a YUMMY feast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Fayelle, BTW. Blogger keeps choosing anonymous for me, no matter what i do.

      Delete