Thursday, October 6, 2011

Summer Jam


Since I started canning two years ago, I've made more than 10 different kinds of jam. Apparently this means I'm qualified to teach people and write about it. But I have to admit, canning really isn't that hard. You get the supplies, and follow a recipe. After a while it's easy enough to wing it - throw some fruit in a pot, cook it down, add sugar....and voila! Jam. I have one complaint about making jam in Switzerland, I have to use different jars. And the lack of proper sealing has lead to 8 jars in my refrigerator. Good thing Jim likes jam too.

Back in June my friend Dorothy asked if I would teach her the canning trade. It was a fun filled two days, and we made 4 different jams: cherry, cherry vanilla, rhubarb chardonnay and strawberry green tea.


Rhubarb


Second round: Strawberry on the left, Cherry on the right



final products


Rhubarb Chardonnay Jam

4 cups sugar (or substitute - like honey, splenda, agave, apple juice)
5 Tbsp Instant Pectin
4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
1 750 milliliter bottle chardonnay wine


Pour rhubarb and wine mixture into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and cook until rhubarb is tender, about 3 minutes. Blend mixture with a hand blender or crush with a potato masher until rhubarb is finely chopped.

Add sugar and pectin to rhubarb mixture. Stir 3 minutes.

Ladle jam into clean jars to fill line. Twist on lids. Process jars for shelf storage or let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! My mom loved the peach jam. It's her fave!

    ReplyDelete