Thursday, September 1, 2011

Le Jet d'eau de Genève

Back in May, (I can't believe it has been that long!) Jim and I spent a bright and sunny Saturday checking out the Jet d'eau. The Jet is pretty much the only landmark in Geneva, and can be seen from both sides of the lake, high up on the Saleve, at night and of course up close and personal. I'm pretty sure they turn it off in rainy, windy or cold weather. But I have yet to notice if or when it has been turned off.


Basically the Jet is a giant spigot of water whose maximum height reaches 140m (459ish feet) and it pumps 500 liters of water per sec. It's pretty impressive, especially up close. And a lot louder than I thought.


I like how you have to walk our on this jetty with rocks on one side and no rail to get to this massive water spout. Somehow I don't think this would pass safety standards in the US.





The picture above makes me think I'm standing in front of a back drop at walmart or somewhere.




3 comments:

  1. Your hair is gorgeous!

    I love this giant water spout! I was trying to read the photo but couldn't... Why us it there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to the sign..."It reflects the ambition, vitality and international renown of a forward-looking, environmentally-friendly city".

    The first jet d'eau was born in 1886 to control the excess pressure of a hydraulic plant, it was a separate outlet to release water into the air. In 1891 the Geneva City Council made the Jet d'eau a tourist attraction and moved it out into the harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bidets in Geneva are stronger than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete